Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Follow this cutie little thing on Tumblr if you want to fill your life with love and beauty and get to see the cutest baby on the universe. Don't ask me if I have seen the whole universe. I JUST KNOW. :)

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On Baking

One good thing of having a lot of extra time in your hands is you get to try a lot of new things that you haven't tried before. For me, I tried doing some simple desserts. I have tried for the first time making a Leche Flan. I can say it was successful. Aside from messing up with the steamer at first, everthing else went okay. It looked like Leche Flan and it also tasted like one so I guess I can say that I did pretty good for a first timer. Hehehe!
Though I wish I could say the same for the 2nd dessert I tried to make, which is Brazo de Mercedes. It was going smooth at first then I forgot to grease with butter the aluminum foil I used to cover the baking tray. As a result, half of the merengue (made from egg whites) was stuck in the aluminum foil. So I only got from the foil half of the merengue which was very thin.

I think I am not going to try doing Brazo de Mercedes again in the near future. Making the merengue was very difficult as I was only using a whisk instead of an electric mixer. Can you imagine, I was whisking the egg whites for 30 minutes already and I still cannot get the consistency and texture that I wanted. My arm was killing me already. But after 30 mins or so, I got enough bubbles to use for the merengue. Even though the Brazo de Mercedes attempt was a disaster, the finish product was still edible. Hehehe! It definitely did not look like Brazo de Mercedes but it 'somewhat' tasted like one. Hehehe! Well, I learned from my mistakes and I know what to do the next time I tried doing it although as I have said, it won't be so soon.